Friday, April 9, 2010

Still Dreaming Dreams----- Friday April 9 2010

STILL DREAMING DREAMS



April 9, 2010


Today’s Bible Verse- Acts 2: 14-21



14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and addressed them: ‘Men of Judea and all who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and listen to what I say. 15Indeed, these are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only nine o’clock in the morning. 16No, this is what was spoken through the prophet Joel:

17“In the last days it will be, God declares,

that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh,

and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,

and your young men shall see visions,

and your old men shall dream dreams.

18Even upon my slaves, both men and women,

in those days I will pour out my Spirit;

and they shall prophesy.

19And I will show portents in the heaven above

and signs on the earth below,

blood, and fire, and smoky mist.

20The sun shall be turned to darkness

and the moon to blood,

before the coming of the Lord’s great and glorious day.

21Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”


TODAY’S REFLECTIONS

Luke often painted Jesus as fulfilling scripture. What is painted today is a glimpse of the church’s mission- namely, to become a community of faith that is a multi-generational and “on fire” for Jesus. Children and teens. Women and men. Young and old alike on fire.



How cool is it in life to see one of the elder members of our society full of joy, hope, and possibilities for the world, the church, and exciting ministry. One of the most inspiring people in my ministry was a man named Dave Trumble. Dave was more than 50 years my Senior- in his 80’s but Dave was the most progressive, charged up Christian I have ever known. To the day he died, he was championing new ways to reach out and share the faith. To the day he died, he was still growing in his relationship with God. To the day he died, he reminded me that the Spirit was alive and well as he was an “old man still dreaming dreams” and inspiring me to be a young man looking for “visions” .



Who are the people in your life who are big dreamers for God- those who inspire you to dream bigger yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment